We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem accessing files on W7 PC

Jollyjohn
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi

I have a couple of PC's in the house and one runs W7. I can access some folders, "recorded tv shows" but not others "My documents" from another PC running XP.
I thought I had turned off password protection on the W7 PC but I still get an access denied message when trying to open My documents. What should I be doing on the W7 PC to allow access to my files?

Thanks

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you enabled File Sharing? See here

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

I believe I have enabled file sharing because I can access some file but not others. I have also shared a printer connected to this PC.

However if I go to Network on the W7 PC I don't see any other computers on the network, only the W7 PC.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Then you may have to take ownership of the files Click Here and Click Here

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I found that trying to network the XP PC with the two Windows 7 PC an absolute nightmare, in fact I never did get it to work, so I switched the XP PC to Windows 7 which, surprisingly for Microsoft is very simple to network.

Some reading here: Good luck

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

I will mark this as solved even though it is not quite. I can access some files, share a printer and I can move stuff from the W7 PC using ftp to my Linux box.
I cant fathom why Microsoft have made networking from W7 to XP so tricky.

Like this post  
tomboard

Likes # 0

Hi

Win7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network has three types of Sharing configurations.

HomeGroup Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network sharing.

Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.

Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security risks.

For best results log to each computer's System Screen and set all the computers to be on a Network with the same name while each computer has its own unique name.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert