We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the following caused by Windows 7...

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I used FF6 now FF7 + IE9 on Windows 7

A friend is building a website, he posted me the link to check what he'd done so far and do a critiqué. At that time I was viewing it with FF6 on Win 7.

This is how the pictures looked...CLICK HERE

I told him they weren't centred and he didn't understand. He had viewed it using all of the following, in every configuration...FF6 - FF7 - IE8 - Chrome - Safari - WinXP and Vista. In all cases the pictures looked as he had intended, symmetrical.

So I updated to FF7 and tried again, the result was the same as it had been before...Pictures to the left. So I tried with IE9...

This how the pictures look...CLICK HERE...just as they were intended to look. I can only think it has something to do with Windows 7 but what, that's my question?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Unlikely to be anything to do with Windows 7, but without access to the actual URL it isn't possible to check.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Am puzzled, http://www.thedeersleap.co.uk/site_thetford.html what's wrong with the existing site? - and what's with the 'dine india' bit?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The operating system isn't going to cause this kind of thing. The fact that you saw the page differently in two browser versions points to a browser rendering issue, but it could equally well be related to the way the page has been coded. Without seeing the page (and thus the HTML) I can't tell which.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

lotvic

None of what you see is directly relevent, only indirectly. He (my friend) has nothing to do with 'Deers Leap'. He is in fact a photograper, who was asked to take some photo's for advertising, prior to the opening of the said establishment.

The website he is setting up is a spoof, he is trying to improve on the other one. Because the owner of that establishment is intending to open another gastropub locally. So, my friend see's this as a possible opening for him to get into the web design business. By showing the proprietor his version. This has no relevence to or baring on my problem.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

mgmcc and FE

UPDATE

He has since tried it on a Windows 7 OS and it worked as it should on that one too. It's just my FF7 - Windows 7 that it doesn't? I will add that he isn't techie in any respect or even literate. We associate by email, even though if we look out of our windows, we can see each others houses.

When I queried the scenario with him his response was exactly this...

"Strange, but power for the course. Could be your settings, I just try to get as cross browser compatible as possible, and leave it at that.

Doen't pay to try to predict computers and the internet.

At first time if writing this I got a BSOD, no reason!!"

Make of that what you will?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Graphicool1, sorry, I didn't understand. I just did a google for the Deers Leap to see if I could see how it displayed. The link I posted was what came up.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

lotvic

Thanx for that, in your defence you weren't to know. Although I wish you hadn't posted the link 'open'. It is quite feasable that either the guy who owns the pub or an associate could see it and it drop my neighbour/friend in it in some way. Still, what will be will be. At the end of the day I've vitually built that website for him. He did the bare bones, then sent it to me to critiqué. He'd make the corrections I told him then he'd send it back again and again. I've told him type face, colour's, music, picture transitions, speed etc, etc. It's all I did yesterday morning. My wife said I ought to send him a bill for consultancy fees.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

'vitually' - virtually

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Graphicool1, you could ask FE (when he gets back from Africa) to remove my link if you think it will cause problems. I don't want to cause any problems and I can see how it could be awkward if this came up in a search.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

UPDATE

FF7

These are the 'Add On's' I have...

None

As for 'Extension's' these are they...

Adblock Plus 1.3.10

Download Eccelerator Plus 9.7.0.7

I tried disabling these, it made no difference.

As for 'Plug In's' I have...

QuickTime Plug-In 7.7 7.7.0.0

Shockwave flash 10.3.138.10

When I disabled the Flash, I didn't get any pictures. When I disabled the QT no music.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers