We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Upgrade - licence

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am about to upgrade my PC to Windows 7 but, as a temporary measure while completing the migration, will be running a dual boot system with my existing Windows XP Pro system. I planned to take advantage of the family upgrade offer for 3 of my 4 PC's but, does anyone know where I can find out if the upgrade licence allows me to run both XP Pro and Windows 7 on the same PC?

L'Shona Tovah to all my Jewish colleagues

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Will not the upgrade version of Windows 7 overwrite the XP Pro?

You could I suppose upgrade to Windows 7 then reinstall XP as a dual boot, but I have a feeling thats not what you want to do.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

No - you set up a new partition and install Windows 7 in this - then you work with both until ready to delete XP Pro.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

In that case yes is the answer, as XP will have its own license number, as will Windows 7. I cannot see any reason why you cannot do it. In fact I shall be doing it myself shortly when I build a PC for a friend, he is looking for a dual boot so that he can get to grips with 7 but still have XP whilst he is doing so.He owns both XP and Windows 7 so it did not even occur to that there could be a problem.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

The problem is that the Windows 7 licence incorporated the XP licence so you cannot run each on a separate PC (or sell off the XP licence). However, I need to be sure that running both on the SAME PC does not infringe the mutual licence.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Are I see,his Windows 7 is a standalone not an upgrade.

Simplest way to find out is to call this support number 0844 800 2400 A bit more info here: Microsoft support

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

For the past year I have had my original Vista and win7 upgrade on separate partition with had no problems.

Your Win XP and Win 7 upgrade will be tied to your computer. As you have paid for both and each will have its own activation number I have found nothing to say you cannot use both.

If you think about it you will only be using one at a time. Nothing can stop you from uninstalling win7 to go back to XP or vice versa. Having them on separate partitions/drive saves time.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia