We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PCA Connection Oddity

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7 OS

At odd times, there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it, but when I try to get into PCA I get the following... http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4708/pcaoddity.jpg

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I don't think a day goes by that there seems to be a fault with this site, one thing though the faults are various, never the same twice in a row. Great stuff from a PC magazine.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

gengiscant

Sometimes I wonder if you haven't anything better to do all day but sit around thinking of new ways to criticise what we do.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

Which browser are we talking about?

It's not a Windows thing, it's browser-related.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi FE

My main Browser is FF6. However, contrary to your assumption/suggestion, when it happens it is with both FF6 and IE9. But initially, your first thoughts on this matter were mine too.

I feel I must say a word in support of gengiscant. Although I don't keep complaining, this is mainly because I know how touchy you PCA guys are on this matter. But also my fingers are crossed that everything will get sorted in the end, hopefully sooner rather than later!

However, being as we are on the subject I may as well add my say on the subject. As I too have found many problems since the PCA online 'update'. With many new ones popping up day by day. In fact only yesterday when I attempted to write this Post, when it came to putting up the 'Web Link' I looked for and couldn't find the World Icon? Also, now as I'm writing this response I see it is still missing, along with the bold B etc.?

I have to ask myself when will it ever end, just when I felt I was coming to grips with it, something else changes. When are you guys going to stop fiddling with it. It wouldn't be so bad, if I could see that it was categorically better than it was before. But in all honesty I have to say I don't feel that it is.

I realise that your hands are tied and even if you were to agree with me and others who feel as I do, you are not likely to say you do, as you have to at least appear to support the powers that be. So I'm not asking for your opinion on this subject, I like many others just want it to end, so we can get back to matters in hand, mainly trying to help others. Rather than having to indulge in infighting. It doesn't put out a very good image to people seeking help, if the helpers can't even help themselves!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Sometimes I wonder if you haven't anything better to do all day but sit around thinking of new ways to criticise what we do.

I am actually criticising what you do not do, like sorting out the many problems that have occurred and do occur daily on this site.

Like this post
barmybuckle

Likes # 0

gengiscant

Is it just the menu part of the site that messes up or is it the whole site?

It looks like the CSS styling has been disabled.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

barmybuckle

It's the whole site and my name isn't 'gengiscant' he was just passing through.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

PS

If it was that the CSS had been disbled wouldn't it happen all the time? Because it only happens, on average around once a week. But there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it? In other words it isn't as regular as clockwork.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Hi.

I haven't seen this myself but I'll ask the Dev team about it tomorrow.

Simon

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

"In fact only yesterday when I attempted to write this Post, when it came to putting up the 'Web Link' I looked for and couldn't find the World Icon? Also, now as I'm writing this response I see it is still missing, along with the bold B etc.?"

No it's not, it's there, and has always been there. I checked it in Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox, just to make sure, and all the text edit tools, plus the 'world' link former are all present and correct. We haven't been 'fiddling' with it at all, because we have no reason to. if you fancy checking around the forums you'll undoubtedly find that other people were posting links and bold type at the time you say you couldn't see the tools. I have not personally experienced a time when these tools weren't visible,and I probably use the site as much - if not more - than anybody.

As for "I realise that your hands are tied and even if you were to agree with me and others who feel as I do, you are not likely to say you do, as you have to at least appear to support the powers that be." You obviously don't know me very well. My hands are not tied at all - if there's something wrong there's something wrong, and if you asked 'the powers that be' you would find that I'm just as capable of complaining when the site doesn't function as you are. I may not post about it in the forum, but that's because it would be rather silly - complaining to myself.

We're all interested in a smooth-running site - why on earth would we be otherwise? - but I confess I do get a little irritated when I see comments such as your "... With many new ones popping up day by day." because it just isn't true - there are not many new problems popping up day by day. If there are, I haven't seen them, and nobody has told us about them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...