We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to get Thunderbird email working with BT

tamsin

Likes # 0

I am trying to get a mail account working using BT - hae doubled checked the settings as per TBird's instructions - mail is being delivered but when I try to send it asks for authentication as below. An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Authentication required. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again. I have tried to verify that everything is entered correctly but do not seem to be able to get around this. Can you advise please.

Like this post
tamsin

Likes # 0

Another development - things just seem to be changing.

I read in a help file that the Port no. should not be changed unless instructed to do so by BT. So I changed Port 110 back to 995 and Port 25 back to 465 - these were the nos automatically inserted by BT/Yahoo. Have just tried to send an email and got the message : You are about to overide how TBird identifies this site. Legitimate banks, stores and sites will not ask you to do this. mail.btinternet.com 465 This site attempts to identify itself with invalid information. Certificate belongs to a different site which could indicate an identity theft. Cancelled sending. Ports 110 and 24 do not seem to work. Dont know where to go from here.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

I was having a similar problem with my hotmail account in Thunderbird and followed the steps from the website below - worked for me.

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/2009/03/16/how-to-add-hotmail-to-thunderbird/

Like this post
tamsin

Likes # 0

Hi difarn Thanks for suggestion. Did try it out but server both for incoming and outgoing 'timed out'. In the end I phone technical help (India) - they logged on remotely and got the email running but I ma concerning because the protocol is not what it should be. ie Connection security is set to 'none' instead of SSl/TLS and Authentication is set to' password transmitted insecurely'. Also I keep getting the following message.

Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mail.btinternet.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server settings are correct and try again, or contact the server administrator.

I close down after this and log in again and try to resend a message - am asked for a password and the message will go.

Not very happy with BT must admit and Im stuck with is for 18 months.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Can you check Help and then select 'about Thunderbird' and tell me if you are using version 6.0.2 please?

Like this post
tamsin

Likes # 0

Yes I am using TBird v 6.0.2. Have not previously had problem with TBird and think this is all about BT and Yahoo.

Have now come up against another problem sending mail to my daughter with attachments .htm and .xls. Mail will not deliver and I am told to contact Yahoo abuse site. From which I can not obtain a reply.

Am currently looking to select a different email service. Its like sticking a pin in a directory.

Like this post
czeshirecat

Likes # 0

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9959/c/346

When I originally set thunderbird as my email client, it scanned and automatically picked up yahoo's mail servers rather than mail.btinternet.com. This worked for months, then I had the same problems as you. After that I had to change the yahoo ones to point more specifically at mail.btinternet.com and it worked again.... but.... I've also got a couple of hotmail accounts that thunderbird handles for me. Obviously the pop settings are hotmail specific, but I use a single SMTP server (BT's one) to send all my mail from thunderbird. If you use the smtp service, the from address in the email header is checked by BT. Unless you log into your BT web mail account and add your non BT email "from" addresses to an include list, they'll reject them. It may be that some attachment types are seen to be dangerous and can be exploitative scripts. I don't know if you can set up anything to prove that you're not doing this. Maybe you can zip the files up if you're having problems sending. To Tamsin, about the invalid certificate. There should be an option for you to look at it. I think you'll find it's one for Yahoo and it was complaining because it wasnt btinternet. That was ok. I had the same experience.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow