We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to get 3 extended monitors with VGA Splitter

StevenE586
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi i am having trouble with connecting three monitors including my laptop screen from a VGA splitter cable ( I am wanting to extend all three screens) which has two output ports on the end. Is there anything i can do or download to get three monitors EXTENDED with the splitter cable. (I'm using Windows 7) Thanks

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 1

Your details are somewhat difficult to understand. You say you are having difficulty connecting three monitors but connecting them to what. The splitter is plugged in to the laptop I presume? and you are trying to connect 2 other monitors. Am I correct so far. If so typically most laptops only have enough video card grunt to support two monitors, one internal and one external.

Pulled from the internet nVidia's top of the line GTX 480M laptop video card does not even support support 3 monitors.

Only ATI's Mobility Radeon HD 54xx series or faster has Eyefinity which will allow you use more than 1 external monitor from your laptop.

Another thing you can have a look at:

Matrox offer the DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go, which are actually external multi-display upgrades that are not graphics cards, but rather palm-sized boxes that sit outside of your system. DualHead2Go takes the existing single monitor display output (i.e. external VGA output) from your system and expands it into dual display outputs, allowing you to run your Windows desktop at up to 2560 x 1024 resolution stretched across two displays. Using DualHead2Go in conjunction with the built-in display of your laptop, you actually benefit from 3 displays at a time.

Like this post  
StevenE586

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, that is what i was trying to do yes and i will try your idea thanks for the advice!

Like this post
StevenE586

Likes # 0

Sorry to bother you again but does the DualHead2Go box extend the other two connected monitors? and not just duplicate them?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sorry, but I cannot advice on this particular software as I have never used it. don't know if you have seen this? DualHead2Go

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK