We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will you be upgrading to Win 8?

ams4127
Resolved

Likes # 0

With all the hype and rumour surrounding the future release of Windows 8, I just thought I would see how people are feeling about moving on from Win 7.

Personally, I will hang back and watch the various forums for reported problems before considering upgrading/clean installing, and my reasons are as follows....

In my opinion, Win 7 is probably the best version of Microsoft's operating system ever released. It is fast, stable and does everything I want it to do and I can see no reason to change it.

The screen shots of Win 8 and it's tiles look, to me, like a kid's toy. I'm sure that will be fine for a tablet or netbook using a touchscreen interface but it will look very strange on a desktop monitor. Hopefully there will be a way to get back to a "normal" front end.

I have a sneaky feeling that Win 7 will end up as the new XP, in that people who are happy with it (and most are), will keep on using it until Microsoft eventually withdraws all support.

If Win 8 were to be released at about the same price as Apple ask for each OS update, I might be tempted. However chance, as they say, would be a fine thing.

Does anyone else have any views on this?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

No;happy with W7. I believe W8 is to assist with tablet PC's, and if it is pre installed if I buy one, fine. For my dektop and lapop, however, I am happy with W7 , having by passed Vista and switched from XP to W7 2 years ago.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

I still like my XP Pro which I have on a laptop and a desktop.

I also have another laptop that runs Vista, why, I don't really know other than it was pre-installed and like all the others this is the OS of the future hype, I had to try it out. Well I tried it and the laptop stays in its bag more than it see's the light of day.

At work I use W7 but, like Vista i'm not a big fan.

Call me a dinosaur but i'll stick with XP Pro for now.

Like this post
januski

Likes # 0

I moved from Vista to Win7 (64bit) and quite like it. I upgraded my system with a new Asus Motherboard and Intel i5 quad processor acouple of months ago.

However, I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with Microsoft and their 'New' operating systems. Just when you're getting used to a new OS lo and behold there's another one on the horizon. More expense.

I've now decided that I'm going to persevere as long as I can with my present set up and when the need arises for a change I'm moving over to Apple. I've always been anti Apple in the past until I got myself an ipod earlier this year and then an ipad2, that convinced me. Apple me have a more expensive outlay but they have longevity and more appeal.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

is the classic screen a reg tweak or an option, i have put off buying a laptop from early next year till the autumn so it will come with w8.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Having played about with W8 for a couple of months now I am not persuaded to think about leaving windows 7 any time soon. And I accept the current developer version is full of bugs and unfinished in many areas. Windows 7 is such an improvement over XP and Vista in so many ways that it will be just as long lived as XP is. If you have an Iphone or similar and are accustomed to touch screen apps you might be tempted to look at W8 for a new buy. If you are thinking of upgrading you have to appreciate that for the full works on W8 you will need a new touch screen monitor-and they ain't cheap even if built into laptops or as standalones. Any monitor upgrading I now do is to 120Hz capable screens and touch screen is not essential to me. Setting W8 up it was an interesting experiment but I am not keen to go on with it

Like this post
pk46

Likes # 0

I think i will stick with Windows 7 Microsoft might think its fun to change an OS every two years ,i don't think in this cash strapped age it will work.

Like this post
dclark

Likes # 0

when is windows 8 out?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

dclark

At the moment it looks as if Windows 8 will launch in October, but nothing's certain when it comes to predicting Microsoft launch dates.

There will be a pubic beta release in February, and a lot will depend on the feedback from that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing