We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will you be upgrading to Win 8?

ams4127
Resolved

Likes # 0

With all the hype and rumour surrounding the future release of Windows 8, I just thought I would see how people are feeling about moving on from Win 7.

Personally, I will hang back and watch the various forums for reported problems before considering upgrading/clean installing, and my reasons are as follows....

In my opinion, Win 7 is probably the best version of Microsoft's operating system ever released. It is fast, stable and does everything I want it to do and I can see no reason to change it.

The screen shots of Win 8 and it's tiles look, to me, like a kid's toy. I'm sure that will be fine for a tablet or netbook using a touchscreen interface but it will look very strange on a desktop monitor. Hopefully there will be a way to get back to a "normal" front end.

I have a sneaky feeling that Win 7 will end up as the new XP, in that people who are happy with it (and most are), will keep on using it until Microsoft eventually withdraws all support.

If Win 8 were to be released at about the same price as Apple ask for each OS update, I might be tempted. However chance, as they say, would be a fine thing.

Does anyone else have any views on this?

Like this post
iambeavis

Likes # 0

"that feature is only in Pro & Enterprise versions." In that case, I'll be buying the 'pro' version.

Like this post
iambeavis

Likes # 0

I tried to install 'Avast', 'AVG' and'Avira', all to no avail - I got an installation error for all of them. Checking in the 'Action Centre' I found that the system comes with antimalware installed, but, having said that, 'MS Essentials' and 'MalwareBytes' installed fine. We also get a restyled 'BSOD'.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Only if it is better, more stable and friendlier than XP ;-)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

johndrew

Windows 7 covers all those bases, you may well find that it's also faster than XP.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

As I build my own PC's I shall not be forced in to installing 8 until I choose to to so. If I can get a copy cheap enough I might give it a try but I cannot see a touch interface ever really getting a hold on the desktop side of the market. I would have to lean a fair bit across my desk to do that sort of thing, so not really for me. Plus I have an ipod touch and I keeping that grease free is a pain I would really hate to be cleaning a 27 inch monitor every 5 minutes because of the fingerprints etc coving the screen.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

gengiscant you will have to stop eating bacon butties with brown sauce at your desk.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

wiz-king

LOL

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

No one is forced into upgradin gOS until they want to really, are they?

I won't buy an operating system just to replace one*, only on a new PC, which I'll buy in at least 2 or three years I imagine.

*Though, is it worth if for the upport you can get with a retail version...?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I will be a mouse/keyboard user in classic mode.

do not like the metro finger touch idea for a desktop.

cannot see any new benfits for the classic mode user as yet, the fast boot looks similar to the sleep function.

not sure if i will try the beta at the moment no new stuff to interst me at this stage

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

Will i be upgrading to windows 8,i can answer this in one word "NO",i have just brought windows 7,at great expense i might add,just got used to how it works and got it the way i wont it,so i wont be buying a new OS,and tbf they could have intergrated the items that they are pushing in windows 8 into windows 7,but imo MS hope that the public are stupid enough to buy a repackaged windows 7 under the new name of windows 8.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia