We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will you be upgrading to Win 8?

ams4127
Resolved

Likes # 0

With all the hype and rumour surrounding the future release of Windows 8, I just thought I would see how people are feeling about moving on from Win 7.

Personally, I will hang back and watch the various forums for reported problems before considering upgrading/clean installing, and my reasons are as follows....

In my opinion, Win 7 is probably the best version of Microsoft's operating system ever released. It is fast, stable and does everything I want it to do and I can see no reason to change it.

The screen shots of Win 8 and it's tiles look, to me, like a kid's toy. I'm sure that will be fine for a tablet or netbook using a touchscreen interface but it will look very strange on a desktop monitor. Hopefully there will be a way to get back to a "normal" front end.

I have a sneaky feeling that Win 7 will end up as the new XP, in that people who are happy with it (and most are), will keep on using it until Microsoft eventually withdraws all support.

If Win 8 were to be released at about the same price as Apple ask for each OS update, I might be tempted. However chance, as they say, would be a fine thing.

Does anyone else have any views on this?

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

No. I'm still using XP.

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

Just got used to using 7.

Like this post  
ams4127

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your replies which came out much as I had suspected.

One other thing which has me slightly puzzled is how quickly Win 8 is being readied for release, when Win 7 is so obviously well liked.

I think that the only way I will be getting Win 8 will be through a new machine and that won't be for a very long time yet.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I used XP for 8 yrs. W7 will do me for a while. (esp since I bought an XP retail disc for £160 [I was stupid] and W7 Upgrade [£55 Tesco on release, that was OK])

I'll look at the W8 screenshots and reviews. Frankly it looks like a Linux distro/webpage so far. Not even going to bother with a beta or VM.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Bingalau

You really should replace that monitor, for the sake of your eyes...flickering screens are the culprit for many a headache and eye strain.

The old cathode screens in low resolution are what did my eyesight in. When the first GUI was released, graphic cards and monitor technology were a long way behind. I can remember getting screaming headaches on a regular basis after a day's work.

These day's with decent LCD screens and graphic card technology the health issues are gone....Too late for us old hands eyesight wise though.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"In my opinion, Win 7 is probably the best version of Microsoft's operating system ever released. It is fast, stable and does everything I want it to do and I can see no reason to change it."

Didn't we think that about Windows 95 when Windows 98 was on the horizon?

Eventually I'll end up with that as hardware gets replaced, but I've no problems with my XP netbook or Win 7 desktop laptop. as long as they work I'm not bothered.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I went from W98SE to XP, bypassed 2000, Vista etc and about 18 months ago jumpwd to W7 Ultimate. I am very happy with it and will not move quickly. Maybe wait to W 9 !!!

Like this post
iambeavis

Likes # 0

I've been using 'Windows 8 Developers' Preview' for three days now and, so far, all is well. The OS has been installed on a laptop that was 'murdered by Vista' and it's running very smoothly, faster even than 'XP' or 'Ubuntu', both of which have been on the same laptop at one time or another. The 'Metro' interface is, for me, just another layer to drill through to get where I want to go but it can be disabled in the registry and the 'ribbon' interface in 'Explorer' can be hidden using gpedit.msc, if you so wish. Although I've only been using it for three days I can see that there are several differences between it and 'Windows 7' and I'm hoping we get the chance to beta test this version, as we did with '7'. All in all, it's looking good (so far).

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

DEfinitely NO!!! Just upgraded to 7 6 months ago. Not going to give more money to profit MS.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The 'Metro' interface is, for me, just another layer to drill through to get where I want to go but it can be disabled in the registry and the 'ribbon' interface in 'Explorer' can be hidden using gpedit.msc, if you so wish

And your average user will know how to do that obviously. If you have to use the Group Policy editor to lose the Ribbon interface home users will be stuck with it, as that feature is only in Pro & Enterprise versions.

I've finally got used to the ribbon interface in Office, and find it quite useful, although it's sometimes difficult to work out which ribbon a feature lives in...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous