We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

why do i have to swich on the wireless printer to access the internet on the wireless laptop?

winsorblue

Likes # 0

Hi, i have a wireless laptop and have just bought a wireless printer which i have manged to set up and it works fine, but now for some reason, i can only access the internet if the printer is switched on, is there a solution to this, as i really don't want to have to keep on switching the printer on every time i want to use the internet, if anyone knows the answer, please can you explain it very simply!! many thanks

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

I could be wrong but it sound like the printer is connecting directly to your laptop and not through your router.

HP printers allow you to view or print out the network setting your printer may have the same options and should tell you if the printer is connecting via your router if it is it will show the router SSID name.

Like this post
winsorblue

Likes # 0

Hi, thank you for replying, i have printed the printers network settings and you are right it does show my SSID name, have you any idea on how to fix it, many thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014