We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Clean & Re-install

Glowman

Likes # 0

I have a dell 5000 as my main computer 6 months ago I had W7 PUT ON NOT AN UP-GRADE i BOUGHT THE RETAIL PACK. A month ago the whole thing slowly detereated to w7 whuch is very slow, its been getting worse as time goes on, I put on stepzilla it fiund 5 Trojons which I got rid of, that improve the slow ness but I still get things like can't get on the internet or if I am on it willjust crash, it types words that are not there it switches from lower case to cap's with out being being told to. So I considered a clean out and re-install, which I have no idea how to do so, I thought I would ask someone to give me step by step instructions for clean out and a re-install,I have infact already done a back up of all I want to keep. Then this morning a friend rang me and said have you tried running in safe mode, so he gave me the instruction Press F8 and switch on the comouter and then move to open Safemode with Internet I did this and kow and behold

it's perfect exccept of i'm running safe , now does that matter of is there a way to switch it back to the normal mode or should I still go ahead with aclean & re-install.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Before you resort to a reinstall, there are several other things that you can try.

First, have you tried using System Restore to roll your computer back to a point before the problems started? You won't lose any data, but you might get rid of the original problem - just make sure that you choose a restore point before the date/time when the problem first cropped up.

If you have trouble running System Restore in normal mode, restart your computer in Safe Mode and run it from there.

I suggest you watch this video before you use System Restore.

Like this post
Glowman

Likes # 0

Hi, Thank you for your suggestion, but I have tried that, I nrsly lost it all doing that but I somehow got it all back.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Can you be a bit more specific about what happened? "Nearly lost it all but somehow got it back" isn't too much help in diagnosing the problems.

Exactly what did you do and exactly what happened?

There are still things we can try before resorting to a reinstallation of Windows.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September