We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop 32bit or 64bit

BoilerOil

Likes # 0

Hi.

I have a Laptop I bought 3 years ago pre-installed with Windows Vista 32bit and 2GB of memory. Since then I have partitioned the hard disk and installed Windows7 32bit on D: with duel boot, later I uninstalled Windows7 32bit from disk D: (there is nothing on disk D:). Then did a full install of Windows7 32bit on disk C:, since then the Laptop takes a long time to load.

My question is would it be better to reformat the whole disk which would remove everything, and insall Windows7 64bit instead or Windows7 32bit.

Thank you for your help.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

AS you only have 2GB RAM then I suggest that Windows 7 32bit is more than adequate. As you seem to be having boot-up problems which certainly will not have been help by all the previous installations, then a complete fresh install is the way to go.

Like this post
BoilerOil

Likes # 0

Will a complete fresh install delete everything on my hard drive, or do I need to reformat the hard drive to remove everything and have a clean start.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Fresh install will give you the opportunity to completely wipe the drive. Make sure you click on custom when asked then you will get the choice if you have more than one partition.

This may help: Fresh install

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...