We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

memory upgrade does not work

coinneach

Likes # 0

Two years ago, my HP550 Notebook laptop came with a 1GB memory ("upgradeable to 4Gb"). I installed "compatible" 2Gb modules, which resulted in two blue page error messages "IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL" and "PFNLISTCORRUPT". Each module on its own performed perfectly well, but they would not work together. Crucial suggested I consulted HP's website to upgrade the BIOS and a Chipset Driver. The latter was achieved but the only BIOS available pre-dated my laptop and I didn't have the nerve to rock the boat further! Has anyone any suggestions please?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Did you buy your memory from Crucial? If you did so and it was the one recommended by the Crucial checker then they will take it back if it doesn't work. That's part of their guarantee.

Like this post
PcTestCard.co.uk

Likes # 0

Have you tried reinstall the OS from the scratch with both RAM on teh laptop ok?

Please remember to backup data first if reinstallation is needed.

Hope this helps! Bill

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

I have basically the same laptop but branded as Amilo Li2727 with the very latest BIOS version update

BIOS setup (F2) will detect the full 4096MB of ram, but with it fitted booting up the OS of any flavour windows linux I have tried it bluescreens

From my research it seems that the hardware possibly the chipset? is somehow limited to 2GB max, which I think will be best served using 2 x 1GB sticks which should run faster in dual channel mode, as opposed to a 2GB stick running in single channel mode

Although I have not done any memory test bench marks to prove this it does seem to run faster faster with the 2 x 1GB option

Cheers HC

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

I have basically the same laptop but branded as Amilo Li2727 with the very latest BIOS version update

BIOS setup (F2) will detect the full 4096MB of ram, but with it fitted booting up the OS of any flavour windows linux I have tried it bluescreens

From my research it seems that the hardware possibly the chipset? is somehow limited to 2GB max, which I think will be best served using 2 x 1GB sticks which should run faster in dual channel mode, as opposed to a 2GB stick running in single channel mode

Although I have not done any memory test bench marks to prove this it does seem to run faster faster with the 2 x 1GB option

Cheers HC

Like this post
coinneach

Likes # 0

Many thanks to Bill and Tosh for your suggestions. I have now decided not to lose any more sleep over this. There is no doubt that the laptop is performing considerably better than it has ever done before with just one of the two new modules installed. I don't think it'll do any better with 4Gb, so I'll settle for what I've got. I appreciate your interest.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer