We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pc updates

Shifa's Gran

Likes # 0

My laptop hard drive is almost full, despite keeping some stuff on the D Drive and an external hard drive - to free up space. I believe that all the updates over the 3 years I've had the laptop are clogging up the memory space. Could I safely delete some of the earlier (2007/8/9 and 2010) ones? They are labelled - but it's all Greek to me! If files are superceeded - the old ones just sit there, do they? Please advise. My programmes only take up about 3gb - yet I have used up 49gb !!!!! Would appreciate advice from someone who knows - thanks

Like this post
smokingbeagle

Likes # 0

Download CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Install.

Download CCleaner Enhancer http://thewebatom.net/blog/software-updates/ccleaner-enhancer-1-3-released/

Install. Both are freeware but be aware of the program(s) asking to install toolbars.

Run CCleaner and check the appropriate boxes, alternatively check all the boxes. CCleaner is well recommended by all and sundry and is considered safe to use.

Like this post
smokingbeagle

Likes # 0

Assuming that you have SP1 and SP2 installed, click on "Start" and in the box type CMD. You will see a black DOS screen.Type vsp1cln and press [Enter]. y/n press y then the removal of the SP1 install files will start. After completion, re-boot. Click on "Start" and in the box type CMD. You'll see the DOS screen again.

Type compcln.exe and then press Enter.

Type Y when you see Would you like to continue? and press Enter

Do let us know how you get on.

Like this post
Shifa's Gran

Likes # 0

When I follow your instructions beginning with START and then CMD etc - I get a message which says :- "vsp1cln is not recognised as an internal or external command.operable programme or batch file" I will now try your other suggestion - and convey my thanks Regards Shifa's Gran

Like this post
Shifa's Gran

Likes # 0

Thanks -ccleaner freed up 6gb !!!! Thanks for the tip

Like this post
smokingbeagle

Likes # 0

Glad it worked. Regards to Shifa and yourself.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014