We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 not booting

WightRob

Likes # 0

We have a Windows 7 PC that was purchased second hand. All has been well until recently. Now that computer will not boot normally, the symptoms are not consistent. At one time I managed to boot into Safe Mode and from there I tried to do a System Restore. I received a message that this had failed. When I tried it again I was told that there were no restore points. I have booted from a restore disk but although the repair function reports a success, I cannot then boot normally. I do not have Windows 7 installation disks and am begining to suspect that the copy is not genuine. Are these symptons consistent with non genuine Windows installations?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you do have a problem with 'not genuine' then that will be your product key and not the DVD.

Is there a W7 product key sticker on the side of the pc tower?

What make and model is your pc?

Read thread http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/28/windows-7/4070053/need-help-asap/ and see my link where you can download an .iso of W7 - make sure you choose the correct language one - burn the iso to a DVD and then you will have a Windows 7 installation disk.

Like this post
WightRob

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic, I will try a reinstallation. I reckon that the PC is home built and there is no sticker on it. It's one my wife picked up thinking that it was a bargain. I guess that the installation disk will at least get me into the system so that I can recover any saved data and move it my machine. Then if necessary we can purchase a product key from MS.

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

Hi,

You many face boot hang problems during the boot up of Windows 7 operating system. Hanging means booting cannot be processed after starting the boot process. Slow boot problem indicates that it takes a long time to complete the boot process; from starting till the end. Virus or malware infection is the main reason for the boot process hanging. If your PC contains many startup processes, you may face slow system boot up. Also limited RAM space could result in the slow boot process.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yet another direct 'copy & paste' by kristain from iYogi website (which WOT gives a red 'Warning! This site has a poor reputation') at least he/she's stop posting the direct link to that website now.

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

Hi,

Try to boot in safe mode and verify if the computer works fine without freezing. To boot to the desktop in safe mode keep tapping F8 key during restart. Once you see the option to boot in safe mode select it and press enter.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If the computer works fine in safe mode, you try to put the computer in clean boot state to make sure that third party applications are not causing this issue with computer performance.

To perform a clean boot, follow the steps below: 1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup. 3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. 4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All. 5. Click OK. 6. When you are prompted, click Restart. 7. After the computer starts, check if it works normally.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home