We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slave drive suddenly stopped working.

Computereyes

Likes # 0

I have been using a windows 7 based system with 2 hard drives. A couple of days ago the slave drive stopped working; slowing down the whole computer. I thought it was an issue with the OS so reverted the system back to windows vista.

After having used vista; the problem still exists and i found that detaching the slave drive fixed the issue. I have some important files on that hard drive and need to retrieve them.

When i connect the slave drive to the computer, it tends to make the system freeze on the motherboard start-up screen and eventually when i get round to starting up the computer it fails to display the slave drive as being connected.

I'm stuck, can anybody please help. thank you.

Like this post
Computereyes

Likes # 0

I've just read something elsewhere about hard drives sticking. Someone recommended to check the hard drive inside a caddy via USB connection.

would this help to troubleshoot the issue?

Like this post
PcTestCard.co.uk

Likes # 0

remove the jumper on the slaved HDD and try again.

Install the HDD to the USB HDD case and used as an external HDD.

Hope this helps! Bill

Like this post
Computereyes

Likes # 0

I got round to trying to connect the HD without the jumper. That failed to work.

Just waiting to get hold of a caddy to try to connect it using that channel.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK