We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sharing files from desktop PC and accessing them on laptop

FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

I've asked this question on the networking forum as well because I wasn't sure which forum to post on, in case the problem was Windows related, I thought I best post on this forum too.

I’m running Windows Vista Ultimate.

I have a Wireless N router.

I have a desktop PC and a laptop. 

I’m wondering how I can share files from my desktop PC and access them on my laptop. I’ve went into Network Sharing centre and selected from what I can see, would need to be switched on/enabled for sharing to work, I’ve done the same on the laptop too.

I placed some files and a folder with an easily recognisable named folder in the Public folder on my desktop PC. On my laptop, when I go into the Public folder on that, I do not see the files or the easily recognisable named folder. 

To me, it just seems like I am looking at the Public folder on the laptop. I was wondering if anyone could help me with regards to what I’m doing wrong, and also, is it possible to do what I’m wanting to do, i.e. share files from my desktop PC and access them on my laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?