We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Futureproofing a PC

rovit44

Likes # 0

Buying the best you can afford in the hope that it'll satisfy your growing like for technology. Buying more than you need now just in case you get round to trying out that overclocking thingy, or watching something in HD or getting one of those games you hear about occasionally. Ceasing being a spectator of the ever-developing IT market and hoping your purchase will retain it's usefulness whilst everything next year will be twice as good and half as cheap.

So, why not an i5 2500K, Z68 mobo, 4G RAM, 1TB HDD, 22" 1080 screen for £500ish + delivery? maybe a graphics card in the future maybe a SSD maybe some decent speakers and a sound card...

or is the next best thing just around the corner so I should wait? will Win8 be just great or should I got for it now and save money with Ubuntu?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

There is not a lot you can do to stop advances in technology.If you use the wait theory then you will never buy anything so it's a flawed theory.All you can do is do your research and buy the best you can afford at the time of purchase.If what you buy satisfies your needs then job done.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Get what you can today because of all the price increases and job losses maybe you will not have the cash in the pocket to buy one next year.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

No point in waiting as tomorrow it will be out of date

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I like to remain about 5-10 years behind 'cutting-edge technology'.Sometimes it's best to wait and see.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Sometimes it's best to wait and see."

That may be a valid policy in some areas, but in the fast-moving world of computer technology waiting for 5-10 years before adopting a development will mean that you are hopelessly out of date.

Someone who hasn't upgraded for ten years would still not be using Windows XP, and would find that many of today's best software would not run on the computer they were using.

Best to wait and see? for a year or so, maybe, but 10 years? I don't think so.

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

There is no such thing as future proofing technology. All you can do is buy the best you can afford at the time, thus extending it's useful lfe. You wait to be 5/19 behind technology you will find the technology you buy will probably not be worth the box it came in. This is especially true in computers. To future proof computers you need to be upgrading components incrementally to avoid a big spend at one time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......