We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Shutting down Virtual XP in Windows 7

tallboy

Likes # 0

Since the last Microsoft update, my Virtual XP mode has failed to integrate my selection of applications. I get a message saying you can shut it down and try again, but the only function I can achieve with it is to hibernate - which doesn't clear the problem.

I have searched the Microsoft Windows 7 XP Mode Help screens, but that doesn't give a fool-proof way to shut it down. (It suggests CTL+ALT+END - but that doesn't work.)

If you know a way of getting it going again, I would be very grateful!

Thanks

Tallboy.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

I am not sure if it will help in your situation, if you use windows update from XP mode and with a bit luck it requires a restart, then the process would seem to involve a shutdown and restarting of virtual PC

Cheers HC

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

There are also other options available from clicking on the Ctrl+Alt+Del in the Virtual PC toolbar you can then choose Shut Down then select it again from the options dropdown

Not very well explained on my part I am afraid but if nothing else it should at least point you in the correct direction

Cheers HC

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Hi Tosh

Many thanks for the suggestions. Another helpful subscriber advised me to 'kill' the process (vpc.exe) from the Processes tab of the Windows 7 Task Master. I did this and it fixed the problem - integrating the apps next time I started it.

Unfortunately Ctrl+Alt+Del didn't bring up the usual window allowing you to use 'Shut Down' to kill it.

I guess something just go stuck!

Cheers

Tallboy

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Very rubbish explanation on my part

The Ctrl+Alt+Del option appears in the toolbar at the top of the Virtual PC screen as a clickable option

"Action USB Tools Ctrl+Alt+Del"

when you click this you get to a Windows Security screen where "Shut Down" is one of the available options

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback