We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Disk problems after critical update

ivesy

Likes # 0

12 Updates on my PC were installed when I shut the PC down about 3 hours ago.

Switched PC on about an hour ago and I'm unable to use Norton?

I get the message uistub.exe corrupt file then the file or directory C:program datw\Norton(0C55c096-0F1D-4F2 etc etc is corrupt and unreadable. Please run CHKDSK utility.

Which I did but the small box appears for a flash then disappears.

Tried a defrag but my C drive doesn't appear

Tried system restore but get the message the local disk C has errors I click to check the disk but I get the message the disk is in use and can't be checked until reboot.

I've rebooted and get the message CHKDSK not working because of recently installed software package?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Can you get in using Safe Mode (F8)? Run system restore from there.

Can you see if all the updates were applied OK?

Have you been making backups of your system? You may have to use one.

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Open up a elevated command prompt and type in chkdsk /r /f and hit enter

Like this post
ivesy

Likes # 0

Hi managed to get safe mode to work (no idea how!). I did a system restore to the date before the update.

Everyting is now fine except I have lost Norton 360 which is weird.

I tried chkdsk /r /f but i get the message in the command prompt access denied as I do not have sufficient privileges. You have to envoke this utility in elevated mode??

Thanks for the help

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...