We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Additional RAM

prima12
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I am running Vista 32bit with an Athlon 4400 dual core processor with an Asus M2N-MX m/b. I have just add additional ram to give me 4gb from 2gb, I still have 2 vacant ram card slots, would I, or could I, gain any further advantage by installing the old 1gb ram into the other to vacant slots? P.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

No

Like this post
Karakorum

Likes # 0

According to the Crucial Memory Advisor Tool you can max the memory to 8GB

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=M2N-MX&Cat=RAM

Like this post
Karakorum

Likes # 0

The above link is for the Crucial U.S. site. For other nations hover over the flag in top right of page.

Like this post
Karakorum

Likes # 0

Says however that 32bit Windows will only utilize 3 or 3.5 GB of any installed memory so would seem pointless to add more than you already have - unless you're contemplating moving up to 64bit?

Like this post  
tullie

Likes # 0

Which was why i said no in my first post.

Like this post
prima12

Likes # 0

Correct tullie, but you gave no reason why, because you already know and I didn't. I thought people were a little more friendly here. P.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Sorry you feel that way,we are friendly.

Like this post
pk46

Likes # 0

Looks like you will have to upgrade to Vista 64BIT if you can find a copy try W7-64BIT then you will be able to make use of your 4GB ram.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK