We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Software made obsolete by Windows 7

keithpld

Likes # 0

I have what I guess is now a pretty old Western Digital External Hard Drive (WD800B015) which worked fine on Windows XP, but the Retrospect 6.5 software that cam with it no longer works in Windows 7 (neither does my Oki B2200 printer or a Dell 924 all in one printer). Is there anywhere I can get drivers to suit or do I have to ditch the lot! I have searched the web with no success as yet.

Keith

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

W 7 comes with its own back up system so you should be able to use your external HD with that, or Acronis which I prefer. I believe Retrospect is a back up system? For data (as opposed to system) back up you could use Free SynchToy or Freefilesynch. Not sure re printers.

Like this post
keithpld

Likes # 0

Thanks - I'm still discovering facets of Windows 7 I didn't know existed!

The advantage of the Western Digital/Retrospect system was that after the initial backup it could be scheduled to daily backup only those files which had changed since the last backup. Is there any similar software out there that will do the same with a Windows 7 based system?

Keith

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

For data files (not system) I suggest you group into a folder (I use "My Documents" where all my music, word, photos, Outlook are in sub folders are kept) THen I have a similarly named file in the other HD and use Freefilesynch (see Google) to make a mirror image regularly. Symchtoy does a similar job. Both only synch changed files. For system I use Acronis but W7 has its own backup, but I prefer Acronis.

Like this post
smurf46

Likes # 0

A quick google and -

Oki B2200 driver - http://baltic.oki.com/support/printer/printer-drivers/index.aspx?prodid=tcm:114-3321 just select your version of Win7 32/64 bit and language preference :)

Dell all in one 924 - http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PRNALLA924&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False

Unfortunately Dell only show a driver for Vista 32bit! I'm not sure if that will work for Win7 64bit in compatability mode but may be worth a try :)

Compatability Mode - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

Hope this helps.

NOTE - make a system restore point before trying these drivers, makes for easy roll back should they cause issues :)

Like this post
LANDCRUISER

Likes # 0

CLICKFREE best back up system buy at QVC UK.COM ,just plug it in & it will do complte system & program backup & all personal data

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

My 73 year old mum uses clickfree on windows 7 and I must admit it is very good and I think she got it from QVC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger