We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

are these nestings required?

Seth Haniel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Under my Documents and settings the following is listed

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Documents\My Music\

Nested 10 times - there is only one user Account and Admin on pc - and usually only used in Admin role - is this nesting normal for Windows7 32 or has something gone wrong ?

Can these nestings be safely deleted ??

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

I've wondered about this myself but have never really investigated the reason. So it seems normal but very very weird. Do a back up then play around and see what happens. Im sure Ive deleted them in the past without issue.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

I remember looking into this some time ago ,apparently your not supposed to access users/appdata via this route ,and by default you would be denied permission , if I remember correctly many users take ownership of these shorcuts or change permissions to access the folders within and its this type of action that causes them to create multiple (virtual locations )of themselves .this is based on information I looked up online a while ago. I have since learned to delete documents and settings (shortcut) and access users/appdata via the correct (true) route ,of C: (or the correct start letter for your OS drive) users/appdata (you need to enable show hidden files and folders via Organize/folder and search options first. I usually take ownership of the appdata folder (now unhidden) and change permissions to permanently unhide it .I then create a shortcut and place it where I can have quick and easy access to it .I use the folder quite a lot to manage my own files .

Like this post
Seth Haniel

Likes # 0

reloaded windows

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad