We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 Laptop loses display settings

skeletal
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a new Dell laptop running W7. The screen tint is far too blue and I have found the controls in the display section where I can modify the colours (and gamma etc).

I can adjust everything with no problems, but much to my annoyance, when I boot up again, all the settings have reverted back to the factory, too blue settings.

(I think that the settings even get lost if the laptop powers itself down through the various hibernate/sleeps etc; although I’m not that familiar with all of those options so am not sure.)

So, my question is how can I get W7 to remember these settings?

Skeletal

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Stupid question but after making your changes you are saving them by clicking on Apply or OK aren't you?

Like this post
skeletal

Likes # 0

Not a stupid question, because it forced me to go through everything again to see what the various screens tell me to do.

At the end, there is not an “Apply” etc button like other screens; there is a “Previous calibration” and “Current calibration” button. You can use these to compare before and after settings. There are also two other buttons “Finish” and “Cancel”; clicking “Finish” exits with the new settings, and “Cancel” exits with the previous settings.

All this new playing about has actually shown up some interesting “features” that I did not know about, and may actually explain my problem.

When you first go into calibration you click through a few screens; at one screen change the colours change, the next screen shows the three sliders. These sliders are always fully to the right i.e. they have not remembered were I left them. This was the clearest indication to me that my setting had been lost.

BUT, what I now think happens is that it is the clicking though the screens that resets the colours such that the sliders end up fully to the right (which is still very irritating to me, but at least it is an explanation).

I also think that the reason the colours seem wrong at boot up (thus meaning I want to go to display to reset them) is that I’ve now noticed that the colours change during the first few minutes after switch on. And the viewing angle is EXTREMELY sensitive such that a slight twitch of an eye also dramatically changes the colours.

All in all, I don’t think it is a very good screen, but I’m not complaining too much as it is one of the cheapest Dells and its main purpose is document working away from my main computer (it would be utterly useless for photographic work).

So, thanks chub_tor, you have indirectly led me to the solution!

Skeletal

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone