We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

32 bit software on Win 7

djsew

Likes # 0

A friend of mine has a hobby software system which it 32bit (database c1995 !). He has now upgraded to new laptop with Win 7. The old software will not run, contact with software designer has not helped. Is there a utility that will enable 32bit software run on 64bit systems?

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

A system that old is probably running DOS-based software. You need to run it inside an emulator. Something like DOSBOX might work:

dosbox

Like this post
ankitadas

Likes # 0

Hi,

In my experience, most 32-bit software "just works" in 64-bit Windows 7. There's an interface layer called WOW32 - Windows on Windows - that provides a 32-bit interface to the 64-bit OS for 32-bit applications and handles that translation between 32 and 64 bits.

software time tracking

Like this post
skeletal

Likes # 0

I’m extremely new to W7 so I’m nowhere near 100% sure of my facts, but like ankitadas, I don’t think it is a problem with 32 bits vs 64 bits. All my 32 bit software (e.g. like Office) works fine.

It is more likely to be a software incompatibly problem as Number six has said.

Skeletal

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

That would be like getting a VHS to work in a DVD player might be time to update software.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Try running in compatability mode for XP.

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

32 Bit software works fine on a 64 bit OS

You got a couple choices as has already been said right click on the .exe and try running it in win98 / XP compatibility modes. Failing that you could try Virtual windows XP mode or download the Microsoft Application compatibility toolkit and see if a shim is available

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED