We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Single User Account for Work & Home?

monkiheed

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have a new laptop running Windows 7 that I intend to use both in work (domain) and also at home (no workgroup or domain).

My question is this: is it possible / advisable to have a single user account that can be used in both of these circumstances?

thanks in advance for any responses!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Although I know a bit about networking, I don't pretend to know about domains. However, as you've had no other replies, it is my understanding that if the computer is set up to operate in a domain, it has to be removed from the domain before it can be used in any other network situation. This will probably include connecting to a router for internet access.

I have heard of situations where people have tried to start the computer when not connected to the domain and when the login fails, they are locked out of the PC. I suspect that having separate User accounts won't be sufficient to get round the issues of using the computer outwith the domain.

If you have IT people at work, seek their advice because it isn't a straightforward issue.

Like this post
monkiheed

Likes # 0

thanks for your thoughts and, no, it's not straight forward! If I make any headway I'll report back!

Like this post
SF-IT-Technichian

Likes # 0

When you connect to the domain at work you should be logging onto your work network and just using your laptop as a client. This means that you will be using the user profile that is held within the work system, in the same way that you log in at work at the moment. You would be using that username and password.

When you connect at home you would be generally be using the laptop to connect to the internet through a wireless/wired router and use the user profile which is held on your laptop.

I hope this answers your question.

Like this post
monkiheed

Likes # 0

Thanks - I feel I've made progress.

At work I log on using, say, mydomain\monkiheed, and have access to the network resources I should.

At home I log on in using the same credentials (obviously the network resources) aren't available, but that means I don't have to maintain two separate profiles. I had imagined that when i tried to login as mydomain\monkiheed when outside the network i'd be denied access.

Shows what I know!

Like this post
SF-IT-Technician

Likes # 0

you could log onto your domain at work from home using Remote desktop, if your work domain allows it, and have access to all of your network resources from home. But in order to access remote desktop you would need to be logged in with your laptop credentials first.

your user profile on your laptop is seperate from your network and the use of the same username password combination has no relevance to the resources which will be made available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September