We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

do disc cleaning programs remove restore points?

Florio

Likes # 0

Seeing as I was having a few problems with recently installed software, I decided to run a system restore, only to find that all of the restore points but one had disappeared (including those I had deliberately created in the past for emergencies). From what I've been reading on the internet, the disappearance of restore points with Windows 7 is a relatively common occurrence, and some forum members have suggested that disc cleaning software like CCleaner and Advanced SystemCare 4 could be responsible. Has anyone here found themselves in a similar predicament? Does somebody know if it is possible to programme such software to avoid touching restore points? Florio

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

Windows 7 allots a percentage of the hard drive for restore points. When the allotment is exceeded, the oldest restore points are removed by Windows 7.

In my personal experience with CCleaner through the years, I have to actively select the restore points to remove from the tools/system restore tab. Selecting this tab automatically scans for restore points. Then it goes into passive mode until the user initiates action. All other scans are in their own tabs and are not automatic. One has to initiate the scan and follow through. Restore points are not part of these scans.

I tend to keep the number of restore points under ten. After the monthly Microsoft updates, the number of restore points tends to balloon.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...