We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with Seagate Disc Wizard & Windows 7

kwil2

Likes # 0

Hi I’ve used Seagate Disc Wizard successfully for a long time with XP. I always created an image of my system before adding any new software so I could restore in case of conflicts or dislike of the new software.

I’ve just bought a new computer running Windows 7 64-bit with TWO 500Gb drives installed. I’m a complete newbie with Windows 7.

I understood the latest Disc Wizard was compatible with Win7 64-bit. At anyrate, it installed without any problem.

With the computer completely free any other software, I wanted to create an image that reflected the system ‘clean’ so that I could restore to original in case of problems. So, I created a backup and this too went fine. Just like in XP.

I then installed some software: Winrar - No problem.

Next I installed ‘Revo Uninstaller’. This seemed to install correctly but when I tried to access or even use its ‘uninstall’ button , window popped up saying the system ‘had encountered a problem’.

Since clearly I didn’t have an ‘uninstaller’ programme, I looked in Add/Remove Programs. There was no sign of Revo and none via ‘regedit’. So I’m guessing nothing was installed.

Nevertheless, I thought this would be a good a time as any to run my Disc Wizard backup. Everything looked fine until it got to the ‘progress’ screen. Screen then went black and my ‘AsRock motherboard’ info appeared for a millisecond saying something like ‘unable to mount’ or No Device detected.

I can’t think what I’ve done wrong. Not unless the Disc Wizard is in fact not compatible after all.

When creating the original image within Disc Image, I selected the following: My Computer> Discs and Partitions> NTFS C:>Create New Full Image Backup>Use Default Options>Proceed

When restoring I just used defaults as I had with XP as follows: Image Restore Discs & Partitions>ticked ‘NTFS C:’ but NOT ‘MBR & Track 0’ (see later)>Restored Partition Location: NTFS C: > Restored Partition Type: Primary> Restored Partition Size: Free Space Before & After: 0 Bytes /Partition Size: 465Gb/

Then: I assigned logical drive letter C: to restored partition>use default options>Proceed

All went well till the final on-screen progress window. Nothing happened (usually the green progress bar shows) until the screen went black and as above. Windows then restarted.

I tried procedure again, this time ticking ‘NTFS C:’ AND ‘MBR & Track 0’ as above. Same result.

Now, in Windows 7 Disk Management I have: At ‘Disk 0’, two partitions to its right: 1. System Reserved 100MB NTFS Healthy (System,Active, Primary Partition) 2. Partition for my Second Hard Drive: designated/named by me as G: ELITE (Healthy, Primary Partition) This is where I placed the Disc Wizard image.

Below this: Disk 1: Partition 'C' 465 Gb NTFS - Healthy (Boot, Page Dump, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Clearly I’m missing something obvious or maybe Disc Wizard is not in fact compatible with 64-bit or could it be it can only load from an external device like a portable hard drive??

Many thanks for your patience in reading through all this. I felt it was only right to give all the facts I have at hand.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe another image creation software that is free and easy to use?

Regards

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Windows7 has it's own, perfectly adequate built-in backup program, found in Control Panel > Backup and restore, with which you can create a system image, backup individual files, and set up a regular schedule. It is vastly improved over efforts in previous operating systems. Suggest you ditch Seagate and have a look at this. Don't forget to create a rescue (boot) disk.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Was this an application provided free by Seagate for use only in conjunction with one of their drives? If so, is it a Seagate drive that you've imaged and are now trying to restore to? If it isn't, the program may not function.

As an alternative, have a look at the free version of Macrium Reflect which automatically installs the 32-bit or 64-bit version as appropriate:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Thanks fellas for the input. Both 500Gb drives are Seagate. I downloaded the Disc Wizard from their site. It's actually a version of Acronis True Image and each window in the imaging process, shows 'Acronis'. Again, by all accounts it should work with Win7. I note the Macrium software option but I wonder if that'll just operate the same as Acronis? From my original post: In Windows 7 Disk Management I have: At ‘Disk 0’, two partitions to its right: 1. System Reserved 100MB NTFS Healthy (System,Active, Primary Partition) 2. Partition for my Second Hard Drive: designated/named by me as G: ELITE (Healthy, Primary Partition) This is where I placed the Disc Wizard image. Below this: Disk 1: Partition 'C' 465 Gb NTFS - Healthy (Boot, Page Dump, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

I feel the ‘System Reserved’ partition might have something to do with Disc Wizard not working but I’m not sure why.

If Win7 has its own imaging system, then yes it would seem sensible to use that and not bother with other imaging software. But is Win7 'system imaging' reliable?

Just to restate: my 'normal' policy in XP was to create a disc image before I installed any new software. If things went belly up, then I simply restored from that image. XP's 'System Restore' never worked properly I found and so I moved to imaging software.

Here's what I've done so far: I clicked on Windows and am given options: Create a System Image/Repair Disc or Backup & Restore Files. So: 1) I've now done all of these: created a System Image, Repair Disc and 'Backup & Restore Files' 2) The 'repair disc' is to be used if Windows for some reason won't load. Yes/No?

So, correct me if I'm wrong: if I wanted to do the same as I did with XP and restore everything to a state before any problem, I'd click on the orb to take me to the above options.

At the bottom of the window, there are Restore options: 1.Restore all user's files 2.Select another backup to restore files from>this leads to the most recent backup date 3.Below these: 'Recover system settings on your computer' > this leads to System Restore Points

For 1 & 2): seems like the same thing ie it will only restore files. Yes/No? For 3) this would be a complete system restore from a designated Restore Point. Yes/No?

But what about ‘system image’? This seems to be what I’d want, but can’t seem to see how or where I’d use this to restore my computer to a previous good state if things ever go wrong.

Point is, I'm still a bit wary of 'System Restore' as a reliable way of guaranteeing all is returned to normal. Maybe I'm being a bit too wary, here, but it's all coming from past experience of XP, added to limited knowledge of Windows 7.

So, as I said, I now have: a) repair disc b) system image c) backup of files

Taking each separately, can you give me an idiot-proof direction as to what I should do if I install some software, find I don't like it, and wish to return to a former state as easily and painlessly as possible?

Apologies again if I'm missing something simple here... Regards

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I can't comment on Windows 7's own backup feature, but I still use Acronis True Image v11 which is quite old and it works OK with Windows 7 64-bit. It is possible that your particular backup was corrupt. Did you "validate" it after creating it?

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Seagate Disc Wizard works perfectly with my Win 7 x64 which comprises 1 Seagate & 2 WD drives.

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the replies. Zepp: you say you've two drives like me. Do you have a 'System Reserved' partition? If so, when you come to create a Disc Wizard image, does it comprise: 'System Reserved' PLUS 'C:'drive? I really don't see why I've had trouble with Disc Wizard when it appears to sit fine with Win7. Perhaps my original image was indeed corrupted. I didn't validate it(never have in the past) because it's time-consuming... Regards

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data