We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Second Hard Drive Not Being Recognised

kwil2

Likes # 0

Hi... I'm a complete newbie on Windows 7, having been a diehard XP user. I'm actually fielding this question from my XP computer. However, I now have a new computer running [b]Win7 Home Premium (64-bit)[/b]. Currently, it's completely 'clean', no other software installed bar Win7. I haven't even connected it to the web yet! Here's my query: There are two 500Gb hard drives installed. However, when I click on 'Computer', all I see is notification of ONE drive only: 'Hard Disk Drives (1) Local Disk C: 436Gb free of 465Gb When I go into Device Manager, both drives are there. I found my way into Disk Management: Start>Diskmgmnt.msc What I then see is: [b]Disk 0[/b]: Basic 465Gb Online (at left) [b]Disk 1[/b]: Basic 465Gb NTFS Online & to its right, 'C' 465 Gb NTFS - Healthy (Boot, Page Dump, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

To the right of [b]'Disc 0'[/b] are what appear to be two partitions: 1. [b]System Reserved[/b]: 100MB NTFS Healthy (System,Active, Primary Partition) 2. 465 Gb Unallocated

When I right-click 'System Reserved', I have the option: 'Change Drive Letter & Paths'. I don't have that option if I click '465Gb Unallocated' If I give 'System Reserved' a letter, will this then designate my 'missing' drive accordingly? If I then click 'Computer' will it show 'Hard Drive (1) and 'Hard Drive (2)? All I want to do is 'see and access’ the second drive and be able to add files etc to it whenever I want. Just the way I can with XP.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Many thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES to the System Reserved partition, which is the "Active" partition Windows 7 is booting from. It does not have a drive letter.

From what you say, it appears that Windows is booting from one hard drive but has the operating system on the other.

The "Unallocated Space" on Disk 0 doesn't appear as a drive available to you because it hasn't been partitioned, given a drive letter and formatted. If you right click the Unallocated Space in Disk Management is there an option to create a partition?

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Do not interfere with the 100MB system partition. This is a stub partition and cannot be assigned a drive letter. It contains boot manager information and bitlocker compression files. Right-click on the unallocated partition, select "New simple volume", assign maximum space, then a drive letter. Close disk manager and you should then be able to see it in "Computer"

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

mgmcc:

You beat me to it!

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Hi...many thanks to you all for taking time to reply. Followed your advice and all worked well. Now showing 'Hard Drives (2): Local C: + my new 'missing'one. I found out late today, the shop technician who built the system forgot to initialise the second drive! So many thanks again for saving me hassle!

Regards

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room