We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

installing windows 7 on a SSD

Petepops

Likes # 0

I have at last given in and decided to install windows 7 on my new build.I want to install it on a SSD.Will my current programs on my current HDD (XP)that I will transfer to the new kit automatically work when windows 7 boots up from the SSD?

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

yes .windows 7 will just see your SSD as a sata ,drive . apart from the speed boost and quicker startup you wont notice ,apart from the lack of noise ,as its solid state ,and nothing to wind up.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Not sure if I have misunderstood here, but W7 will most definitely not run programs installed on your old XP hard drive. They will have to be reinstalled under W7 when you have your new system up and running. Most old XP software will run on W7 quite happily if you install and run them in compatability (XP/SP2) mode. Apologies to merlinx if I have misunderstood the OP's intentions.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

no number six, my apologies I misread the OP ,your right of course . assuming the programs are not too old ,they may or may not run under win 7 in compatability mode ,but they would have to be installed uner win7 either way .

Like this post
Petepops

Likes # 0

Many thanks Merlinx and Number 6.It seems as though my fears are realized and I will have to re-install all my current XP programs once I have got 7 up and running on the SSD.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...