We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

boot-up problem

rnsa

Likes # 0

Really urgent help please. On my wife's new lap-top I installed a windows update. One of two. One failed,one installed. I clicked restart now and the computer started to shut down. The screen then showed"preparing to configure windows. Do not turn off your computer". After two hours I assumed there was something wrong so I tried to turn off but it wouldn't,even if I unplugged it,so I removed the battery. Now when I switch on and try to boot-up I see the same message and cannot get any further. I would be grateful for some help please. Please also bear in mind that I am relatively new to computing also.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Can you get into Safe Mode by tapping F8? You could then do a System Restore to a date before you installed the updates.

Like this post
rnsa

Likes # 0

chub_tor

Thank you sincerely for your interest and time.

After trying several times since posting the problem resolved itself. It suddenly said"configuring service pack". It took a long time but eventually completed and I was able to boot-up normally

Thanks again.

David Nichols.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

David - at the risk of sounding patronising, I hope you've realised that the reason the update went on for so long was because it was a very big update!

You're very lucky to have got away without any residual problems, but I do urge you never to repeat your actions. Leave updates to install fully, no matter how long it takes.

I hope you didn't mind my saying that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...