We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

.eml file extensions

melvin.bell

Likes # 0

I am tearing my hair out trying to open saved emails with a .eml file extension. i can open them with Notepad, Wordpad or Word but can not open them in Windows Live mail. I have tried endless solutions without success. Any clues as to what I can do to cure this problem

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Start, default programs, associate a file type or protocol with a program, once loaded scroll down to .eml and click to highlight. Click change program even though it might be showing WLM, select WLM and let it load. Back to default programs and select " set program access and computer defaults, expand custom and put a dot in the button for WLM under choose a default email program.

Like this post
melvin.bell

Likes # 0

Dave, tried your suggestion but in the first step when I get to the "Change Program" my options are, Word, Wordpad, Notepad and Windows Mail" I do not have Windows Live Mail as an option. I selected Windows Mail but that doesn't work

Like this post
melvin.bell

Likes # 0

Hi Dave, Thanks for your help and advice. I realised that Windows mail wasn't there so I went to Windows Live Essentials and unistalled the Mail program and then re-installed it. Then followed your advice and this time WLM was there. Selected it and now all is OK. Thanks very much for your help - maybe hair will grow again!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund