We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB Keyboard problem....

bigrad

Likes # 0

My Vista laptop keyboard has become very tatty over the years so I plugged in a USB keyboard so I could actually see which key was which. The USB keyboard works fine but the trouble is that now the laptop keys themselves just produce completely wrong characters when you hit them. It makes no difference whether the USB keyboard is plugged in or not. I have tried restoring but it refuses to co operate and simply reports an "Unspecified error" and changes nothing. Is there an obvious answer to this? I was planning to un-install the keyboard driver to see what happened, but I cant find it. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Like this post
bigrad

Likes # 0

Well I tried last good config - no effect

Running in safe mode - no effect

F12 / F8 work as advertised

No CDs of any sort supplied with laptop, so haven't tried that. No idea what Puppy Linux is. Sorry.

Just seems so weird that what amounts to a USB peripheral would knock over the inbuilt keyboard.

Like this post
bigrad

Likes # 0

I have just checked device manager and it reports all keyboard devices working properly - which they're not obviously!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you have found the keyboard in Device Manager then you can right click it, unistall, delete the driver and let Windows find it again by going to New Hardware Search or re-boot.

Like this post
bigrad

Likes # 0

I did think about deleting and reinstalling the driver but I was concerned that if it was reported as working OK I might make things worse if there was a deeper problem by deleting it and then it fail to reinstall itself. In the end I booted up in F8 and did a system restore from the checkpoint the day before using the offered recovery menu, which worked and put everything back as it should be. I don't know why this worked when a system restore from within a fully loaded Windows didn't, nor do I know what caused the actual problem to occur in the 1st place,apart from the fact that it was clearly related to using a USB keyboard, but there you go. Thanks for everyone's input.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Glad that you got it working again and thanks for posting the fix.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...