We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blocked registration from accidentally installing on two hard drives

livingdeadgirl

Likes # 0

My boyfriend reinstalled Windows 7 the other day to clear the crap from his system but unfortunately realised once he had done a quick format and reinstalled it that he had selected his back up drive and not the C drive. He then did it to the C drive but didn't uninstall it from the back up drive, and now it throws up a message saying the registration number has been used twice so is blocked but when he contacted Microsoft they said there is nothing they can do to unblock it. I don't believe buying a new version of Windows 7 is the only solution as it's a legal version bought from Amazon, has only been installed on his PC and surely as Adobe can deregister programs from their end it would be possible for Microsoft to do it. I know about the Adobe one as I have had to do it twice recently!

Has anyone else had the same problem and if so how did you solve it?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Does the machine have a single partition divided into two or is it physically two separate hard drives? If the former then it is possible with a partition manager to delete what is currently the C: drive to wipe the second installation of Win 7 and then rename the D drive C. If it is truly two separate hard drives then just wipe the C: drive and change the drive letter from D to C Click Here

Like this post
livingdeadgirl

Likes # 0

No it is actually 2 separate drives so thanks for that and I'll let him know :)

Like this post
livingdeadgirl

Likes # 0

Ah I just repeated your answer and he said he uninstalled it from the second drive so it is just on the C drive but it still says the key is locked so it must have left some trace of the installation behind that it is picking up on.

Like this post
livingdeadgirl

Likes # 0

It is back on the C drive but the pop up saying the key is blocked is still showing even though it's only on that drive.

Like this post
nevynmk1

Likes # 0

hey there. I'm the person involved. Basicly I had windows on both hard drived after I had the data from my back up drive. (or as much as I could get) I formatted that drive While leaving windows on the main one. It has since said the windows key is blocked with error 0xc004c003 microsoft want me to pay for a new key but I want to make sure that they aren't tellimg me fibs. cheers in advance.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This article by Microsoft waa written for Vista but I would be pretty sure that it would also apply to Windows 7. Have a read through and see if you can apply any part of it. Whenever I have tried phone activation having been advised on the screen that my key is invalid I have always been successful.

Like this post
nevynmk1

Likes # 0

Cheers for the help I called them tosee why the key was being denied and have been advised that my key is a corperation one. So will be emailing amazon tomorrow.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more