We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

documents missing

terrydactyl5

Likes # 0

Vista....My documents have disappeared....When I boot up the documents can be seen on the desktop but after the boot is completed the documents disappear and I cannot trace them. Would appreciate any advice.

Like this post
terrydactyl5

Likes # 0

Have tried using search bar from start button, this traces the icon but when clicked I get the message 'file cannot be found'

Like this post
terrydactyl5

Likes # 0

when i go to desktop,click on user file,all the files are shown,ie.photos,music,videos etc. but all are empty, get message files have been moved. When i find a document it states 'roaming' ?

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Can you do a system restore to just before you noticed this problem.

Like this post
terrydactyl5

Likes # 0

system restore will not function now.

to 124: have done above,reads C:\users\user name\documents Thanks

Like this post
terrydactyl5

Likes # 0

about to get my tool box out and look for a large hammer!

Like this post
terrydactyl5

Likes # 0

Thanks for your assistance.Unforunately I have tried the above but nothing appears in my search box as i have Vista. I have just downloaded'everything' as in your reply and it has found all my files,just need to work out now how to get them all back in my folder. I have an external hard drive,would it be easier to save to this and then transfer back or is there a quicker way?

Like this post
terrydactyl5

Likes # 0

thanks for all your help - much appreciated

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014