We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CD Antics

jimforrest

Likes # 0

Acer Aspire 5742 running Win7. This is odd and I can't find an answer. I placed a blank cd-rw in the drive and copied 3 files across using Explorer. It then burned the files and ejected the CD. I closed the door, opened Win Explorer and looked at the CD drive - which told me to put a CD in!! No matter how I try it just can't 'see' the CD. I then put the CD in my Win XP desktop and the files not only show - but can be read. So I put a commercial (audio) CD in the drive and it can't 'see' that either - so it can't play. At first I assumed the player was naff but, I connected a USB CD writer to it and that can't 'see' the CD either! If I connect the same USB CD writer to my XP machine it can 'see' the CD. What's going on? I looked on Google and found the FixIt programmes from Microsoft. What a waste of space they are! The first one I tried downloaded itself and then failed to run because of a missing dll. The second one (different) ran but announced it couldn't find a problem. Device Manager says all is well. Updating the driver failed because it's the latest version.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try going to Device Manager and selecting your CD/DVD drive - delete the driver - then reboot - insert a CD/DVD into your drive and when Windows searches/asks for a driver go to the manufacturer's website, download and install the latest driver.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Luckily I went to the Acer website before deleting the driver - their website Support pages only list drivers which are not included in Win7. Obviously an Acer DVD/CD driver forms part of Win7 so it won't update. Good idea though - any others? A thought did ocurr to me - I have a Vista laptop with (I think) a working CD drive on it. Can I just swap them?

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

I have found that the drive is a Sony Optiarc AD-7580S. Guess what - Sony don't list it, even under discontinued drives !! They list one each side 7570 & 7590 but not the 80S.

Like this post
james105051

Likes # 0

You could try reflashing to the latest firmware.

Latest Firmware

Like this post
james105051

Likes # 0

Sorry, just re-read your original post "can't flash what you can't see", apologies again.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I would try uninstalling, then shut down and physically remove the cd/dvd drive completely. Reboot the pc up without it so all the programs 'forget' about it, then close down and switch off, and put the cd/dvd drive back in and boot up the pc and it may install as a new device. Got to be worth a try.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers