We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win7 pro administrator problem

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'd like to change my computer's administrator rights to myself (the User) only but am unsure how to do it. On' Manage Accounts' I used to show three items; (1) User - standard user (2) Administrator - administrator and ( 3) Guest (inactive). Now when I open User Accounts through Control Panel I only show (1) User - standard user! Looking in at 'Change User Account Control settings' via the Action Centre I note that the slider is at the top (Default - Always notify me when: Programs try to install software etc., and when 'I make changes to Windows settings.' I remember the default slider position used to be set one notch lower.

Also, when I boot up the PC I'm now confronted by two options - Administrator or User buttons, whereas before the PC booted right through to the desktop. The User log-on has everything including all my files, so I don't want to lose anything if at all possible.

Tried several system restores but they fail to complete. I have updated everything and thoroughly scanned all. Any help and guidance will be gratefully received. TC.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

I was about to do a 'repair' reinstall of Windows from my retail DVD, but having SP1 installed now makes this impossible. TC.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

TC

1. To make yourself an administrator, click the Windows Orb (Start), type netplwiz and press Enter. Highlight your account > Properties > Group Membership Tab, tick Administrator and Apply, etc.

2.To bypass login, click the Windows Orb (Start), type netplwiz and press Enter. Remove the tick from “Users must enter a user name and password” > OK. You may have to type the user account name/password just the once to complete the process.

1. To bypass entering a password after hibernation, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > Require a password on wakeup (in the left pane) and put a check mark in Don’t require a password.

2. To run a repair install, you will have to firstly uninstall SP1 via Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features > View installed updates > Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB 976932) > Uninstall.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 1

Let me post this again in the hope that it displays correctly:

To make yourself an administrator, click the Windows Orb (Start), type netplwiz and press Enter. Highlight your account > Properties > Group Membership Tab, tick Administrator and Apply, etc.

To bypass login, click the Windows Orb (Start), type netplwiz and press Enter. Remove the tick from “Users must enter a user name and password” > OK. You may have to type the user account name/password just the once to complete the process.

To bypass entering a password after hibernation, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > Require a password on wakeup (in the left pane) and put a check mark in Don’t require a password.

To run a repair install, you will have to firstly uninstall SP1 via Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features > View installed updates > Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB 976932) > Uninstall.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

BurrWalnut

Thanks for the help. I followed your instructions but unfortunately I finished up with Administrator boot up to the desktop and very little else. A window opened at bottom right by the taskbar stating a temporary time limit was on and files would be deleted afterwards. I did highlight my User account when complying with your instructions. This is the account that has everything so I need to keep it, and hopefully as administrator too. :o)

I've already tried to remove SP1 files before attempting your instructions, but after reaching 99% removed it did not complete and went on to reverse file removal !! TC.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Did some archive searching of this forum and found this: http://www.windows7news.com/2009/02/03/enable-or-disable-the-windows-7-administrator-account/click here

This action seems to have done the trick, alongside BurrWalnut's instructions as per above. I now boot straight on to desktop and have administrator status as well! :o)) TC.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote