We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Obtain activation key

rscott74

Likes # 0

I am not an IT expert. I recently had my motherboard replaced by a friend of a friend and the tower was returned with Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit installed. I previously used Vista. I don't have access to an activation key.

What is the best way to obtain a legitimate key? On amazon the price appears to be around £150 which seems hellishly expensive. Searching online there appears to be a UK supplier quoting £18.99.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you can't obtain the activation key from the person who installed the software you'll need to buy a new licence from Microsoft.

Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade adviser and take it from there. The adviser will offer you choices, and you can buy the upgrade online.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

Dont buy from microsoft ,they are at least 30% more expensive than amazon . but you certainly wont get a key for £18 either ,at least not legitimately . amazon (uk) currently have the home premium edition for £93, that is very competitive . that version will have just about everything the home user needs , and the extra you pay for the ultimate version will only get you a few additional features you will not need (probably) the home premium offer will have everythin you will need including both 32 and 64bit versions, and the all important key . just do a fresh install ,if your current version is working fine then home premium will too . that aside ,why did the person who fixed your PC install a different OS and not give you the means to activate . ?

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

Thanks again merlinx. My machine packed up and my son said he knew someone who could get it fixed - it only cost £60 for supply and fitting new motherboard. The tower came back in full working order and I didn't realise that Windows 7 replacing Vista would give rise to problems.

I'll try and contact the repairer.

Regarding key costs I got it wrong it was £50,for ultimate, from an online site based in this country. I don't know if I can give a name on the forum.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Windows 7 always activates after every boot. It's not a one off thing. So getting a key for Ultimate for £50 would ring alarm bells for me. Might work for a few months then one day you'd get the black screen saying it's not genuine. Not saying it will happen but it's a possibility. Tempting as it is, I'd go for the Amazon offer, where you'll know that you get the real thing.

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

Is it in order for me to give the link to the supplier on this forum? The concern is on facebook and can be found on business search.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

rscott74

I think you are referring to a certain windows seven key store that "trades" under several different names.

They offer MS Office and Win 7 licences for $25-$30.

It is a scam! There are several complaints on various forums about this so-called firm so don't even think about purchasing something from them.

Just Google the name and find out for yourself.

As the old saying goes "if it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't"

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

rscott74 I've just seen your other post - it's not the same outfit as the one I was referring to - however, seems it is the same sort of scam though, as soon as you give them your credit card details they pass them on to someone else and these guys will milk it dry until either it's limit is reached or it is stopped.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...