We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Window 7 rearm

rscott74

Likes # 0

I'm not good with PCs. I'm trying to rearm Windows 7 activation. I'm using command prompt for the first time. When I enter "slgmr -rearm" I'm told "slmgr" is not a valid command. I'm running as administrator and closely following on-line guide. Can anyone offer an explanation/solution?

Thanks

Bob

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

"slgmr -rearm" is this a typo or did you actually enter "simgr"?

I looked at this site Click Here for advice.

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

No need for the command prompt. Right click computer and select properties. In the window that opens scroll to the bottom and click the link that says "change product key". Enter your product key and then it will activate

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

Chub-tor - I'm typing it correctly, even using a copied screenshot to guide me. Thalmus - I don't have a product key.I have had my motherboard replaced by a friend of a friend and I was using Vista before. I didn't realise that there was a time limit (its now 36 days since I got the tower back). I would like a few more weeks to consider my options given the cost of Windows 7 activation.

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

Chub-tor

I've looked at the link suggested and tried all 4 options, the 2 "slmgr"s" and "sysprep" were not valid and the "run....." didn't do anything

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

OK i see what you are trying to do. Here is a step by step guide. Also, note the first comment

"You can do this after the 30-day period has expired, but if you’ve gotten to the point where it demands you enter a valid product key before logging on, you’ll have to do it from Safe Mode"

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

Thalmus - this is the response from command prompt. I followed the link's instructions carefully. I cannot see any activation line on computer > properties but having presumably expired maybe that's not important.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>slmgr -rearm 'slmgr' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

slmgr.vbs -rearm is the full command , right click command prompt and select run as administrator ( yes even if you have admin account) I seem to remember it does not work if you have a certain amount of days left .only in the last couple .

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

Merlinx - I cut & pasted from your post having obtained cmd via start and ran as administrator with result below. I'm no expert so why is cmd not recognising the entry?

I'm 6 days beyond expiry and receiving regular activate messages. Could I have left it too late. Sites I have visited regarding this issue have not suggested that rearm is not possible after 30 days with some mentioning on or after.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>slmgr.vbs -rearm 'slmgr.vbs' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

There are some extra registry commands listed here that may help you

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

Hi chub-tor. I've just started looking at your link and one thread advised putting 'slmgr.vbs -dlv' (copied/pasted from the post)in search to find out how many rearms remained. The result was 'no matches found'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer