We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 won't start

jaimie

Likes # 0

I've just upgraded my Acer Aspire T671 with 2 gig mem from vista to Win 7 home premium. everything went OK - I chose to upgrade and keep original settings. Now windows reports that it can't start and so goes into the auto repair process, after a while it says this computer can not be repaired automatically and asks me to click finish whereby it will start the whole process over again. Anyone know what I should do to fix this please?

Regards

James

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It sounds to me as though you'll need to run a clean install.

This will delete everything on your 'C' drive (assuming that's where Windows is installed), so make sure you back up all your important data files first.

Like this post
jaimie

Likes # 0

Hi Forum Editor. I did as you suggested and it seemed to work fine and everything is working as it should. one further point, can I safely delete the folders called "Windows old" as I need the space on the hard drive? I don't have the MB drivers or the audio drivers as they have been mislayed, I'm worried that if I delete the folders mentioned above then I would loose the sound drivers installed.

Regards

James

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Yes you can delete Windows.old but make sure you have copied/moved everything you might want from your old setup. I would leave a few days just to be sure.

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...