We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 Virtual XP Mode

Septogenarian

Likes # 0

I know little about PC's and have only just discovered I can run Windows XP on a virtual machine in Windows 7 . Are there any limitations to this , or can I just install all my XP software , antivirus , and drivers , as with a normal XP operating system ?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Hopefully you have W7 Professional or Ultimate as I believe Virtual PC is only included in these versions.

If so then yes you can install all your applications in the Virtual Machine

Like this post
Septogenarian

Likes # 0

Yes I have the Windows Virtual XP up and running , and the desktop looks just like regular XP . The only worry I had was if Windows 7 is running in the background , is this giving my processor a double workload if I try to run XP software as well ?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

As stated by bremner, if you have the better versions of Win7 it will install your XP programs as if it was XP. Doesn't work in all cases. The alternative is to use a program like VirtualBox - link text

This will allow you to install Windows XP in its own environment within Win7 and then you can install and use your programs from there. It's similar to dual booting except within VirtualBox you can have more than one instance of an O.S., or several different O.S.'s and they can all be deleted as required without affecting your main Win7 install. Great for trying out Linux in its many guises as well.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Septogenarian Crossed post. Ignore it if you already have Virtual XP running. Acid test is 'do the programs run as fast or faster than they did in XP?' If the answer is 'Yes' then don't worry that your processor may have more to do. It is obviously up to it.

Like this post
Septogenarian

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for the replies , some of my favourite software will only run on XP , so here goes . O.K. on Linux , canarieslover , have been using Ubuntu since distro 8.04 ( Hardy ) .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'