We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WiFi not working in Windows 7

newface

Likes # 0

My daughter bought a Compaq notebook at Christmas with Widows 7 already installed and everything worked fine. At the weekend she downloaded Service Pack 1 and Broadcom. Now she cannot access the internet via out TalkTalk Router (Thomson). If I do a system restore to prior to the download it works again until she powers off the notebook. On powering back on she cannot get back onto the internet. My PC is connecting fine to the router, as is her old laptop. Obviously we cannot continue doing system restores everytime she wants to access the internet, and I cannot understand how the problem keeps manifesting itself after everytime she boots up the notebook. Can anyone please give me some advice about how to get around the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Maybe connect first by cable until it finds the network,disconnect cable then switch on the wireless and hover over available connections,click on yours.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm assuming you download a new driver for your wlan card via updates (Broadcom) and this could be the problem. Try typing device in the search box and in the list select device manager. Under network adapters right click on the wlan card and select properties. Under the driver tab see if you can roll back the driver. Close the windows. Reboot and see if it works. If ok then change your windows update settings to check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them. Copy and paste link to address bar (hyperlink not working) for info; http://tinyurl.com/28qtf8a. Now hide the update so it does not install again;
http://tinyurl.com/67pqs6g

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Check the HP website ( Compaq are HP ) enter all the details for your system. someone recently had a simlar problem and they found a network update they downloaded and installed ,which solved their problem

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

Wireless setup in Windows 7 is simple. Please go to Control Panel --- Network and Internet, click on Connect to a network. This will start the network connection list in Notification area. Let me know if your home wireless network is listed.

If not, check if wireless network card is enabled. There should be a switch on the computer which controls the wireless network card on or off.

Like this post
newface

Likes # 0

Thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to respond to my post. The good news is that the issue is now resolved, but I still don't know how it kept coming back in the first place.

I solved the problem by removing the Windows Service Pack 2. After that we could boot the notebook up and down as many times as we wanted and the WI/FI worked everytime. I am guessing that there was something in the Service Pack that the Operating System just did not like. The only question is what was causing the problem, and am I likely to download it by accident sometime in the future.

Never mind, all's well that ends well as a great man once wrote.

Thanks again everybody.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[I solved the problem by removing the Windows Service Pack 2]

I believe you meant SP1.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more