We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Defrag in Vista

wotbus@

Likes # 0

Can't find it.
When I try to run it, Vista tells me it's not installed yet and points me to a window where there should be a box to tick and install the service.
Although the OS is in French there is nothing in the list which resembles Defrag despite hovering the mouse over each entry and having a good suss.
As this list appears to be a permanent one with boxes to tick or un-tick, can someone give me clue as to it's physical whereabouts on said list,
EG 2nd from top or 3rd from the bottom? :-)
Thanks

Like this post
PaulsonW

Likes # 0

Double-click My Computer, right-click local disk C, go to Properties at the bottom, go to Tools (second from left, and there is error checking at the top and defrag below it.

Or I use Auslogics defrag for both my xp and vista pc's click here

Like this post
maghemite

Likes # 0

Maybe you can try this registry edit to restore your defragger.
click here

Remember to BACK UP your registry before editing it so that in case you make a mistake, you can always revert back to the original version.

As for third party defrag utilities, an automatic defragmenter that can defrag system files, work in low free space and operate with minimal resource usage will be a good choice. The best ones are not free however.

Like this post
wotbus@

Likes # 0

Thanks.
I used a 3rd party defragger and gave the computer back. This was just another (small) problem I found after fixing several others.
If I get to work on the computer again (it's a close neighbour) I'll check out the link maghemite, thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'