We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Installation advice

Commander Straker

Likes # 0

Due to an issue with my Vista 32 bit installation ( subject of another post) I have decided to bite the bullet and install W7 64bit. I realise I have to do a custom install but am unclear whether I can just let windows take care of the disc side of things or whether I have to reformat my hard drive. The PC originally came from Cube 247 and has two 500Gb hard drives in Raid arrangement to appear as one 1Tb drive.
Thanks for any advice - I have never replaced an OS before.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Windows 7 will reformat your HD as part of the installation process.

Like this post
Commander Straker

Likes # 0

That's great thanks for clarifying. Would you know if I can use Windows Easy Transfer when going from 32 to 64 bit ( I know you can't go the other way) ?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Research suggests that in theory it may work but no guarantees.

The general consensus appears to be to transfer files etc manually and reinstall all of your software.

Like this post
Commander Straker

Likes # 0

Many thanks Pine Man for taking trouble to help me out. I'll leave the thread open a bit longer just in case I run into a glitch !

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I used Windows easy transfer when I moved from a 32bit Vista computer to a 64bit Win 7 build. Mine was done via usb as it was two separate machines that I was using. It was OK but it took a very long time, probably due to limitations of usb, and also moved a lot of files that I really didn't need. In hindsight I had all the install disks that I needed and also had my data backed up to an external drive so I would now do a complete re-install of everything and then import my data from external drive.

Like this post
Commander Straker

Likes # 0

Thanks. I have the Easy Transfer file saved on external drive and copied the files separately too so hopefully got it covered - today is OS change day so I will update with experience in case it helps others.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

During the installation proccess win 7 takes a copy of all of your documents favourites etc before it formats then when you have finished you will find a file on your desktop named Old Windows it will all be in there.

Like this post
Commander Straker

Likes # 0

Managed to complete clean installation of Windows 7 Ultimate. Took quite a while and there are moments when it appears to hang for ages but restarts just as you are beginning to doubt ! Also unexpectedly did 'checkdisk' in the middle but no problem. I can confirm that Easy Transfer works in these circumstances and even seems to have copied iTunes folders and libraries without difficulty.
Had hardware issue with HP All-in-one resolved by downloading later software from their site (despite having a Windows 7 install disc). Still have issue with Peak TV Tuner card which now can't hold a Tv picture without picture breakup and download of latest driver doesnt cure it annoyingly.
Other than that I can say it has worked as you all indicated so thanks for the advice and support.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Pleased it (nearly) all worked out for you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen