We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Display Driver Blue Screen

Commander Straker

Likes # 0

PC Blue screened last night even though no software or hardware had been added and it was working fine during the day. Blue screen indicated Stop 0x00000116 and an Nvidia display driver issue. I have tried to roll back driver and then install latest from nvidia website in Safe Mode but neither made any difference.

There are dots and dashes all over the screen when it is loading windows and on one occasion it did fully load but then said Vista was not activated and I should contact Microsoft. That was a one off and it returned to blue screening and rebooting behaviour - this doesn't sound good any ideas ? Thanks. (Vista 32 bit fully updated).

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Have a look at this to see if it helps,

Windows Vista Blue Screen Hardware Malfunction. Possibly Nvidia. click here

Read the post by 'Nano8Blazex' on Monday, January 04, 2010 8:54 PM

ps. The Vistaheads.com link don't work, But he has written what he did after that link.

Like this post
Commander Straker

Likes # 0

Thanks for info Lazarus. Unfortunately I can't follow the steps in that thread after: "when expansion is complete". Not sure how to copy it to the directory specified ? Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sounds like the graphics card is failing.

Like this post
Commander Straker

Likes # 0

Well in desperation downloaded and ran ccleaner and the PC opened fine but then asked for activation code which I ignored. All except IE seemed to work but on reboot it asked for activation again in safe mode and then when I clicked to enter code got error 0xC004E002. Seems to relate to corrupt licence tokens - will update progress in case it helps anyone else.

Like this post
Commander Straker

Likes # 0

Well I spoke too soon as the original problem has returned before I even sorted the Vista error code. RDave13 you may be right perhaps the easiest solution is to buy a new graphics card - ATI rather than Nvidia this time ?

Like this post
Commander Straker

Likes # 0

I am waiting for a new ATI graphics card to arrive but I think windows is so corrupted I will have to reinstall based on an error message that now appears. This looks like a good time to start again and just get W7. Thanks for your help and advice.

Like this post
Commander Straker

Likes # 0

New Graphics card sorted display issues but still getting request to reinstall windows so have ordered W7.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers