We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

acer aspire m1610 refuses to factory reset

nufclad147

Likes # 0

hi
i have a problem with my friends parents acer apire m1610 vista pc when trying to factory reset the proceedure seems to format drive load files an when it reboots to desktop i get E recovery banner an on screen window an message saying " completing 1/14 task" however no matter how long it is left 3 or 4 hrs it never completes task 1 let alone 14 it just seems to hang with repeative images transition and rotating ifon symbol timer ..while in this state i can browes thro computer behind the banner docs. control panel but cant work programes its locked..annoying as cant use the make e recovery back up disk cds..so it seems the recovery partition is bad .unless some 1 has any ideas of a way forward..

what i have done is unplugged the sata hhd with vista on an installed a spare ide hhd loaded XP i didnt want format the sata hdd with vista on incase the problem can be resloved - i installed xp on this spare hdd to test the components of the pc an xp installed fine an working.. so im thinking i have the following options

1 hope there is some advice to salvage the vista on recovery partition..

2 inquire with acer if the can supply a full recovery cd with vista an drivers on

if this is possible what is my chances of the system hangin on vista install on task 1/14 with a recovery cd install acer supply

3 stick to using xp on the system but would really like to know why the pc is now acting this way ...

many thanks with any support given

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Hard to believe the recovery partiton is corrupt really.
Have any partitons been altered or created, resized etc.

Recovery discs may be an option.

Only other thing I could suggest is to ask on the Acer forum,
click here

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Have they got a Vista disk. Complete reinstall should fix things

Like this post
nufclad147

Likes # 0

yes that was the method i did this alt f10 whats strange is the procedure would copy files to zero to 100% reboot ask me location then them times zone then goes to desktop before the banner e recovery preforming 1 to 14 tasks .. i left it 5 hrs an then over night each time it stuck on that screen task 1 of 14 :O(.... guess my only option now is to ring acer ask if they do recovery cd for models like hp did for £30 for me mate..better then having to buy a new vista.. here hoping ..

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Have you tried running ERecovery from initial boot by pressing ALT and F10 rather than from within windows ?

Like this post
nufclad147

Likes # 0

No they don't have a vista disc and foolishly didn't make the CD recovery Disc in acers E recovery section. I was just thinking of another friends experiences when he to found his recovery partition corrupted an had not made back cd..He contacted HP an they supplied for his imedia a full xp install an driver setup set of 2 discs £30 ish only prob been they wer dvd discs an his model was cd writer only had to buy and fit a dvd reader to install it..i was thinking calling acer to find if they can supply a recovery pack an price....

just my only other option is to advise my friends parents to buy a vista QEM but just slightly worried its wasted money if it don't install..yet xp is fine..so maybe my concerns is not needed..

i just wish i had a vista disc just test the dam thing lol

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback