We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should I upgrade to Vista

skirmish

Likes # 0

Hi there

I'm currently struggling to get my PC to install XP SP3 so I'm considering forgetting about doing that and just installing Vista. What I'm concerned about is that the MS updates for SP2 have now stopped so could that cause problems for me?

When I bought the PC it had XP Media Centre loaded but it came with a free Vista upgrade disc however I never loaded it as I'd heard bad reports about Vista.
My PC is HP Pavillion with 2GB of RAM.

Do you think I should finally make the upgrade or would I be better off sticking with XP?

Thanks in advance
David

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Windows XP is not always better than Vista. Note the word always. Vista with the right specs is quite good. It needs RAM. Anything less than 2 Gb and you get a poor experience. It alld epnds on your system. Have you considered Windows 7?

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

Windows xp has been always better/faster than vista. Get go with XP

Like this post
skirmish

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice.

Is that the method also to transfer emails to Vista?

I suppose I could copy my important emails to any web based email client and then send them onto my new Vista or Win 7 email software?

Just one query that hasn't been answered. Is my computer at risk if I stick with XP and just it's SP2 which is not now being supported by MS?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I agree with the FE, skip Vista as it will struggle with your spec and go direct to Windows7 which will work comfortably.

Yes you can transfer all your emails to Windows 7 Live Mail, even the POP3 accounts but you will need to do a bit of work first by exporting them to a memory stick or CD, then set up the accounts in LiveMail before importing them back in.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I use web based email so never had to transfer emails from system to system... sure someone will know though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September