We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should I upgrade to Vista

skirmish

Likes # 0

Hi there

I'm currently struggling to get my PC to install XP SP3 so I'm considering forgetting about doing that and just installing Vista. What I'm concerned about is that the MS updates for SP2 have now stopped so could that cause problems for me?

When I bought the PC it had XP Media Centre loaded but it came with a free Vista upgrade disc however I never loaded it as I'd heard bad reports about Vista.
My PC is HP Pavillion with 2GB of RAM.

Do you think I should finally make the upgrade or would I be better off sticking with XP?

Thanks in advance
David

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Can I just say something here :) ... as Vista keeps getting such bad press on these forums.

chub_tor thinks it will it strugle with your spec of PC. Why ? Sorry C_T... nothing personal :)

I use it on an (now nearly 4 year old) Acer 9301 laptop with AMD Turion 64 mobile processor. With 2gb RAM it's absolutely fine... 1gb... no it struggles.

Vista has matured, the service packs have taken care of most of the niggles... for me it never freezes, never crashes... if a PC struggles then I assume you mean it's slow... well I use Aero and the sidebar and believe me, it isn't slow at all. I sit here with essentially zero HDD disk use, no thrashing of the HDD.

I would still recommend the clean install route though.

Also if you aren't sure then why not take a disc image of your C drive with Acronis or other program, put the image on the D partition if you haven't an external drive and then go ahead and try Vista out as a clean install... if you don't like it just use Acronis etc to put the old image back.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

mooly you may well be right that Vista will work OK on skirmish's machine as I was basing my experience on the versions before Service Pack 2 was released. I well remember cursing the slow start up and general slow operation of my machine with 2 Gb RAM when I first put Vista on it. 4Gb cured some of the problems and SP2 did improve matters. But the vast difference that I got when I upgraded to Windows7 has coloured my judgement and I personally would never recommend anyone to go from XP to Vista when they have the opportunity to go from XP to Win7 which runs very happily with 2Gb RAM.

Like this post
skirmish

Likes # 0

Please remember that I already have a Vista premium upgrade disc whereas I'd have to go and spend £70 on Windows 7. To be honest I'd rather put that 70 quid towards a newer PC with 7 already installed than just buy the software.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

chub_tor, don't know what to say really :) I can only go off my experience with Vista... and currently with ALL updates etc it's a flier. That's on 2gb RAM.

I know from cold boot it's ALL up and running in 90 seconds. It's slick, responsive and a joy to use.

I guess ultimately it's up to skirmish to decide.

My only slight reservations are going down the upgrade route... however if you do that you can always still do a clean install if needed.

In many ways it's the ideal chance to start afresh and reinstall everything... have you really that much that it's a problem.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you already have a Vista Premium Upgrade disk then personally I would put it on as an upgrade. The only time that I have done a clean install was when I was forced to by changing from 32 bit to 64 bit and upgrades have always worked fine for me. BUT do as mooly suggests and update to Vista SP2 immediately you are up and running with Vista as it does make a huge difference to the boot up times and general running of Vista.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more