We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to repair Vista - NO Backup disc

Steinmanstorm

Likes # 0

The girlfriends Packard Bell computer.
After asking me over to sort out her lack of broadband (well it's a novel chat up line!), she tells me that everytime she boots up her pc, that she gets a message that "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem - Chose "repair your computer""

Apparantly normally the pc goes through the sort of self-repair process & all is ok. But this time (with me!), the Packard Bell repair process seemed to work, but windows went for the re-start & then failed to start & the Windows Boot Manager started again.

Got error msg - Status 0xc000000f

Info- The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Then some gubbins about inserting Vista disc to attempt repair (which not got) & contacting vendor for assistance.
Pc is she says about 3 yrs old.
I know that Recovery sector is on hard drive, but how can I access it.
She's ok data wise to do Factory settings or similar to actually get Vista & working pc back but how can I do that if can't get to Recovery sector to do so?
Any kind of DOS way? I should be able to do that if given instructions. Help!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

click here to download an ISO Image of a Vista Repair Disc. click here for background information.

Option 2 is to look up the method of accessing the Recovery Sector for her model of PB Laptop. It will probably be the F11 or F10 key. Post the Model of laptop and someone may be able to let you know.

Incidentally, you might have got a quicker response in the Helproom Forum! Don`t duplicate the thread yet though - I`ll check back tomorrow morning.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...