We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

getting rid of vpclog in Vista

prukitten

Likes # 0

I have a Huawei E220 dongle, and have accumulated a large (4GB!) 'vpclog' file in my documents file. I have found instructions on how to stop this happeining on Windows XP, but how do I get rid of it and stop it reforming on Vista? can anyone advise me please?

Like this post
prukitten

Likes # 0

Thanks, Mooly, that seems to have done the trick

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

That was good timing... just looked by chance.

In Vista you click the orb at bottom left and just type regedit and press enter.

The fix I have seen for your problem... and I don't know if it works or not is this. Having opened regedit,

expand the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER
expand the folder Software
expand the folder Vodafone
click on folder VCMLite
in the right handwindow double click on 'use_logging' (about 2/3 of the way down the list)
the Edit DWord Value window will open
Change the Value Data: setting from '1' to '0' and click OK
close the Registry Editor by clicking the top right red cross
go back into My documents folder and delete the Vpclog.txt file

Don't alter anything else... if you find any problems after doing this just repeat the process and change it back to a "1"

You should also read up on how to "back up the registry" which allows you to undo any changes if you got stuck etc.

Use Vistas own help and support... click the start orb, select " help and support" from the right hand menu and type Back up registry and press enter.
That will bring a list of help topics up.

Good luck, hope it works.

Like this post
prukitten

Likes # 0

Thanks, Mooly
I expect I need to do something like that, but being no expert I can't follow the instuctions (click on Start then Run...), because when I click Start in Vista, there is no option called Run!
Where do I go from there?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

No expert on this problem but see it crops up now and again.

Did the xp fix you refer to involve a registry edit ?

Does that fix not work on Vista.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

That's great... pleased it seems to have worked.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...